Every month we will share a different Buba recipe for you to try at home. This month you’ll be delighted to know we are giving you our now-not-so-secret recipe for your favourite, the Buba Halloumi Fries! I know, we spoil you!
Why not give this recipe a go at home and post your image to our social media sites with the #Bubalicious. We'll pick the best each month and the winner can come enjoy a meal for two on us!
Halloumi Fries, Chilli Jam & Buba House Sauce (Serves 2 or 1 very hungry person)
For the Halloumi Fries
300g Halloumi cut into batons
2 eggs, beaten
30mls full fat milk
100g dried pankro breadcrumbs
100g plain flour
For the Chilli Jam
20mls extra virgin olive oil
150g roast red peppers, skin & seeds removed
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 cardamom pod, seeds removed & husk discarded
40g caster sugar
1 tb sp smoked paprika
30mls red wine vinegar
For the Buba House Sauce
Juice & zest 1/2 a lime
2 clove garlic
10g caster sugar
5g harissa paste (or sriracha sauce as an alternative)
Salt to taste
1. Firstly prepare the chilli jam, heat the olive oil in a large pot, add the garlic & cardamom seeds and cook until beginning to soften but not colour.
2. Add the remaining ingredients and stir briefly, allow to stew over a medium heat for approx 30 mins until it has reached a jammy consistency.
3. Remove from the heat and blend until smooth.
4. Make the house sauce by combining all the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
5. Make the Halloumi fries by tossing in the flour, then dunk in the egg & milk mix before adding to the breadcrumbs.
6. Shake in the breadcrumbs until fully coated and remove.
7. Fry the Halloumi in hot oil until golden.
8. Drain off any excess oil before placing in a serving bowl and dress with the sauces accordingly.
Enjoy as a snack with friends or on your own in a dark corner! I